ISC DHCP 3.1.1rc1 is now available!

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Mar 29 11:08:48 UTC 2008

In connection with the 3.1.1 release, it would be nice to have some idea
of what are the expected/"normal" messages in the logs for a failover pair,
and which ones I should be on the lookout for.

For instance, my own personal classification is currently:

- Expected:
Wrote <int> leases to leases file.
ICMP Echo reply while lease <IP> valid.
ICMP Echo Reply for <IP> late or spurious.
Abandoning IP address <IP>: pinged before offer
Abandoning IP address <IP>: declined.
Sending updates to <failover>.
bind update on <IP> got ack from <failover>: xid mismatch.
peer <failover>: disconnected
failover peer <failover>: I move from normal to startup
failover peer <failover>: I move from startup to normal
failover peer <failover>: peer moves from normal to normal
failover peer <failover>: peer moves from normal to communications-interrupted
failover peer <failover>: peer moves from communications-interrupted to normal

- Not expected:
uid lease <IP> for client <MAC> is duplicate on <pool>
client <MAC> has duplicate leases on <pool>
bind update on <IP> from <failover> rejected: <IP>: invalid state transition: active to abandoned
bind update on <IP> from <failover> rejected: <IP>: invalid state transition: active to free
bind update on <IP> from <failover> rejected: <IP>: invalid state transition: active to expired

Any comments on this classification of the log messages?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no