Problem in DHCP Server no free leases Error

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 20 10:55:56 UTC 2008

Rajiv Rajaian wrote:

>ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

I would suggest "interim" or "none" depending on your needs, "ad-hoc"
is deprecated. But that's unlikely to be related to your problem.

>In /etc/dhcpd.conf  I haven't configured the option
>domain-name-servers . Is this must for dhcp server configuration??

It's not needed for server config, but it is needed for the clients
to do anything useful.

>What is the root cause for this no free leases

It means exactly what it says, well almost ! Quite simply, a client
has requested a lease and there is no lease available that can be
given to it. It doesn't apply with your config, but it's possible to
configure things so that certain clients are restricted to certain
address ranges - in that case you can have "no free leases" while
having addresses that are free, it's just that the client isn't
allowed to use any of the free addresses.

I can't see anything wrong with your config, so a couple of things to check :

1) What version are you using.

2) Have you checked your leases file to see that there are actually
free leases ? If you'd had a bit of churn with bootp devices, that
can permanently eat up your leases as they never expire.