3.1.1 Failover Speed (was: Re: 4.1.0a1 Failover sync speed)

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Wed May 28 19:56:31 UTC 2008

Up until now, we've had static assignments for every machine in our
network. Having multiple servers in this environment without failover
was fine.

Now that we're moving to pools, we're needing to configure failover,
so we've been testing failover with different dhcpd releases on test
servers.

3.1.1 with out configuration takes 2.5 hours.
4.0.0 takes 1.5 hours.
4.1.0a1 takes 4 hours.

These are all way too long for us to keep dhcp unavailable for (for
the initial sync). I'm also worried about working problems and having
to restart this 4-hour process as part of the debug steps!

We do have 140 subnets (mostly /21s). The load averages on the test
servers were high (4.00 - 6.00) but the interfaces were only pushing
60kbit.

Chuck Anderson asked if we had excluded all the fixed address
assignments (before we had tested with a version other than 4.1.0a1)
and the answer is 'no'. The subnets have pool ranges which span most
of the (/21) subnet. There are fixed-address lines within those
ranges which will be removed (but can't be yet, we still need them).

Why is this not faster? Whats happening other than transferring data?
Can I speed up the initial sync somehow?
TIA,
-porkchop
--
Michael "Porkchop" Kaegler, Sr. Network Analyst
(845) 575-3061 Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY