DHCP Server Configuration Problem

Claus Holm Christensen iscdhcp at claushc.dk
Thu May 29 14:37:43 UTC 2008

DÔ Phan-Cam-Thach skrev:
> And I think all these configuration are in dhcpd.conf. So that, why do i
> have to work with dhcp3-server?

When the file /etc/default/dhcp3-server does not exist, then you are not
using the variant of dhcp3, that is part of Ubuntu. Forget about that
file, unless you install it from Ubuntu with this command:
	sudo apt-get install dhcp3-server
Please note that you will only get version 3.0.6, I don't know if that's
enough for your setup.

Going back to the error message you got, the problem is that you should
also tell dhcpd which interface to listen to. You are probably using a
command like this to start the dhcpd daemon:
	sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd -cf /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf

With or without the initial sudo, that's just to ensure that you have
the correct permissions. Try to add the name of the interface that DHCPd
should listen to, like this:
	sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd -cf /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf eth0

That will proably do the trick.

--
Claus Holm Christensen