Scalability of DHCP Server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 29 19:41:42 UTC 2008

HOFER BERNHARD wrote:

>Has anyone ever seen a theoretical maximum limit for scaling of this
>DHCP server, or is scaling only dependent on the strength of the used
>hardware.

I have no personal experience of large scale implementations, but
reports on this list suggest that several hundred thousand clients is
not a problem. I believe there are no hard coded limits, and some
people have created pools for an entire class A (eg 10.0.0.1 to
10.255.255.253) which would test the internal hashing process.