authorized mac ONLY dhcp

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 14:25:28 UTC 2008

Zhaohui Wang wrote:

>My point is, only known client will get a lease,
>static or dynamic really doesn't matter.
>
>Because there is another DHCP server in the subnet, I don't want make
>conflicts with it.

But you WILL make conflicts with it. You CANNOT run two dhcp servers
on a network without some co-ordination. You really, really CANNOT
just start up another DHCP server with a different subnet.

>For your sample configuration, will it assign all arriving DHCP request to
>192.168.0.100-199 address pool?
>Or it will only answer MAC address 00:1e:0f:fa:75:2e and aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>request? That's my question.

Have you read the man pages ? "allow known clients" will result in
only known clients being allowed a lease from the pool, known clients
being clients with a host declaration.

So only the defined hosts will get an address, those with a fixed
address declaration with get that address, others will get a dynamic
address.

>Should I put host mx{} and host dynamic{} inside the subnet delaration?

Absolutely not, that WILL cause problems.

--
Simon Hobson