allow members of outside of pool declaration

Jeff Haran jharan at Brocade.COM
Tue Nov 18 18:49:14 UTC 2008

I posted my original question yesterday and today I see nothing on it
either in my inbox nor in the archives, so perhaps it went into the bit
bucket.

So I'll try posting it again below.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran
====

Hi,

I am using dhcpd 4.0.0. In this application, I want to configure dhcpd
to assign addresses to clients if their DHCP Discovers and Offers
include BOTH of the following:

1) A Client Identifier Option with a value equal to one of a given fixed
set of values, and,
2) A Vendor Class Identifer Option with a value equal to a single fixed
value.

The address I will assign will be based on the Client Identifier Option,
so I am defining the clients via  host declarations that look like this:

	host foo {
		option dhcp-client-identifier "bar";
		fixed-address 1.2.3.4;
	}

So if a client with a Client Identifier equal to "bar" requests an
address, I will assign that client 1.2.3.4, but I want dhcpd to generate
no Offers or Acks unless the client also specifies a particular Vendor
Class Identifier with one of a fixed set of Client Identifiers.

Upon reading the documentation, I thought I might be able to do this
something like so:

class "bazz-class" {
	match if option vendor-class-identifer = "bazz";
}

and then:

	host foo {
		option dhcp-client-identifier "bar";
		fixed-address 1.2.3.4;
		allow members of "bazz-class";
	}

But when I try this, I get error messages from dhcpd about "expecting
allow/deny key".

I've tried moving the "allow members of "bazz-class" to outside of the
scope of the host statements, but when I do that I get similar results.
It seems as if the "allow members of" will only work within dynamic
allocation pools. I want the allocation to be strictly static based on
client identifier but qualified by the presense of the vendor class
identifier.

Is there a way to accomplish what I am trying to do here?

Thanks,

Jeff Haran