Update Microsoft DNS with dhcpd

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 08:24:43 UTC 2008

Michael Webber wrote:

>Is there a way to update a Windows 2003 DNS server with DHCPD?  If
>so, could someone please send detailed instructions?

Yes you can do it, but you cannot do it securely.

Configure the DNS server to allow unsigned updated from your DHCP
server - the best you can do here is to allow updated by IP address I
believe. I "don't do MS Servers" so can't be any more detailed.

Configure your DHCP server to do DNS updates - set ddns-update-style
to interim.

If your DNS is correctly configured then it will now start doing
updates ! Yes, seriously, IFF your DNS is correctly configured then
that is the sum total of what you NEED to do.

Watch the logs and see what's happening. You may well have to tell
the DHCP server where the DNS server is for each zone, like this :

zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. { primary 192.168.1.57 ; }

If you do, it's because you have not correctly configured DNS
resolution and/or the zone SOA record. Though you may decide that
explicitly stating the server to be updated is a good idea anyway.

This is all in 'man dhcpd.conf', but not that you cannot use the
signed updates security because MS use a different signing method
which is 'proprietary' (ie designed to make use of third party tools
more difficult).

--
Simon Hobson