Question about best practices...

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Wed Oct 1 00:39:14 UTC 2008

> What also might work for you would be to move the admin zone to a
> BIND DNS server and delegate all the subzones (6 I think) used by the
> Active Directory stuff to the Windows DNS server. I have that setup
> with a client where a Linux box does all the routing etc (with
> multiple VLANs), DHCP, DNS, and the Windows server does the Active
> Directory stuff. I haven't had to touch it for a good few months now
> - it "just works" :-)

This is basically our solution.  We have all our clients in our top-level domain and the only issue we had was having a domain that has both static assignments that come from a database and dynamic assignments inserted by ISC DHCP.  Maintaining the static stuff was a bit of a pain but managed it in the end with some scripts and using nsupdate to make all modifications as zone updates.

As stated above, largely, it just works.