dhcp reserved address support

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Oct 8 13:10:05 UTC 2008

>Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:30:49 +0530
>From: "Samer Sayeed" <samers at teamf1.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: dhcp reserved address support
>
>Its not a very good option to give multiple range statements. ....
>Any other better idea ???

Well unfortunately that's the way ISC dhcpd works.

You may have used the MS dhcp, where typically you specify the whole
subnet, then mark certain IPs as not to be used. That's just as messy
if not more so, IMHO.

The way most people do it it to assign all their host based
fixed-addresses in a block at either the top or bottom of the subnet,
and then have a single contiguous dynamic range.

regards,
-glenn