Re-activate current lease on DHCPDISCOVER

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Oct 10 13:42:34 UTC 2008

>From: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>
>To: "'dhcp-users at isc.org'" <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:13:29 -0400
>Subject: RE: Re-activate current lease on DHCPDISCOVER
>
>> And now for the ugly hacks department. I haven't tried this but what if
>> you assigned a client-id to the PXE clients? For example,
>>
>> class "PXE" {
>>     match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
>> "PXEClient";
>>
>>     # here is the ugly hack
>>     option dhcp-client-identifier concat(01, hardware);
>> }
>>
>> regards,
>>That's the default for the Microsoft clients, but there's nothing
>>to stop a given client setting it to any random string.
>>
>>regards,
>
>Wouldn't there be some way using the example above to simply make all of the
client identifiers the MAC address?

>-Drew

Yes, put the assignment in the global scope. So now from the server's
point of view each client has a client-id that matches the hardware,
and that's fine if the other lease happens to be assigned that way -
but if it isn't then it won't match.

You could go the other way and assign a null client-id perhaps, eg:

option dhcp-client-identifier "";

Not sure how this would go, perhaps some testing would sort it out.

regards,
-glenn