DHCP-binding states

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Oct 20 13:49:40 UTC 2008

This is from the dhcpd.leases man page:

     The binding state statement  declares  the  lease's  binding
     state.   When  the  DHCP server is not configured to use the
     failover protocol, a lease's binding state  will  be  either
     active or free.   The failover protocol adds some additional
     transitional states, as well  as  the  backup  state,  which
     indicates  that the lease is available for allocation by the
     failover secondary.

My reading of this is "free" means unused. "active" or "backup" mean it
is in use in a failover configuration such as yours.

The ultimate source of truth is the source code, so some searching
through that might find what you want.

In a simple model you could assume that any other state meant "not in
use" perhaps?

regards,
-glenn