Peer holds all Free Leases, Why?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 21 20:03:27 UTC 2008

Robert Blayzor writes:
> We're in the same boat as you, and I posted on this last week. But the
> problem is same. I've been tracking it and it doesn't seem to make sense
> me. In our leases file we see leases expired, they've been free for days
> even when we have a 86400 max lease time. The servers start saying they're
> both our of leases. If we simply force restart the servers, they seem to
> fix up for several days and then the problem comes back again.

	Hmm. We actually kill and restart both servers at
slightly different times early each morning to take care of any
memory leaks, etc so the situation either starts rather quickly
or the kill/restart isn't fixing things for us.

	We have 187 different subnets defined in our DHCP
servers and this problem is actually rather uncommon. Yesterday,
the only networks that went in to this mode were the one that
caused us to start investigating and one other that we had not
gotten any calls on yet.

	We go for months without an incident and then the Moon
gets in the wrong phase:-) and it happens.

	I wrote a shell script that is fired off via cron job
which looks for the "peer holds all free leases" squawks in the
syslog file and prints a message on the screens of anybody
logged in to one of our UNIX work stations so that we will at
least know next time that it is starting, sort of a smoke alarm
script.

	Many thanks and thanks to those who have developed the
DHCP code. It is good and among the most robust applications we
use.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer