"ignore booting" and failover?

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 24 11:09:20 UTC 2008

Hi list

I've been having this problem for some time, asked this list already
once, tried different things - now I was able to nearly solve it, but
not entirely... so I'm asking again (sorry).

We have this #"!?** Dell server which insist on sending DISCOVERS
every minute or so on some virtual interface / MAC address ("BMC"),
but we never found out how to disable that. These DISCOVERS are
cluttering our dhcp.log, so we'd like to just ignore them and - very
important - not to log them, but we don't want to give that MAC
address a valid IP. I added "ignore booting" to the host statement of
that MAC address, and now at least one of our failover peers indeed
ignores that client (and also logs nothing). But the other peer still
logs them with this line:

Oct 24 12:50:25 DHCP-0339 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:14:22:72:6d:cb
via 130.60.145.1: load balance to peer DHCP-Zool

Hmph. Nearly there, but not entirely. How can I get rid of these, too?
Ideas?
We used to use some workaround, giving that MAC an IP but with an
invalid router address so that it couldn't do anything, but this still
eats up one valid IP which is not ideal...

TIA, Tina

Dr. Tina Siegenthaler

IT support

Institute of Zoology