omshell and failover-state object

Greg.Rabil at ins.com Greg.Rabil at ins.com
Thu Oct 30 20:53:23 UTC 2008

With failover, it is my understanding that omshell can be used to force a "partner-down" state so that the primary server can issue all leases, including those marked as "backup".  I have tried the following:

1.  Start primary and failover servers with a shared pool of ten addresses.
2.  Request all ten leases from the primary, using clients on the configured subnet.

1.       In v3.0.6, I can get seven of the ten leases before the primary complains that the "peer holds all free leases"

2.       In v3.1, I can get eight of the ten leases before the primary complains that the "peer holds all free leases"
3.  Stop the failover server.
4.  Attempt to get all ten leases again, still get 7 or 8 depending on DHCP version.
5.  Wait MCLT seconds and attempt to get all ten leases again, still get 7 or 8.
6.  Use omshell to connect to the primary server and set the local-state variable of the failover-state object to 1 (3.0.6) or 4 (3.1) to force "partner-down".
7.  Attempt to get all ten leases again, still get 7 or 8 depending on DHCP version.
8.  Wait MCLT seconds and attempt to get all ten leases again, still get 7 or 8.