DHCP Option82 and MySQL?

Jerimiah Cole jcole at tbtc.net
Thu Sep 4 16:23:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 12:21 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> If you check the archives, you will find that at
> the moment, the only way to tie IP to circuit ID
> is by having a class & pool for each circuit.
> It's messy but not too bad to do as the output of
> a script. All the DB stuff you'd have to write
> yourself.

It's very messy, and I'm not at all comfortable with it, especially when
you start looking at thousands of pools and failover.

> What would make it a lot easier would be a
> feature that so far hasn't made it out of the "to
> do" list - to redefine the master DB key. At
> present it's (in accordance with RFCs) "pick
> first option(client id, hardware)", but could be
> redefined with this feature.
> Though I'm not sure how well it would work with
> renewals that don't go via the relay agent ?

It probably wouldn't, since the relay agent actually inserts the Option
82 information.  However, many routers and switches will intercept and
augment unicast requests that transit them.

> If this is important to you, perhaps you could
> sponsor it's development ? There seem to be a few
> people who want it - but very few willing to
> sponsor it.

This feature request was mentioned a few weeks ago.  I'd be willing to
sponsor it, but I'm not clear on how to go about doing that.  Somebody
suggested putting a bounty on the feature.  As it appears that most
development is performed by ISC funded developers, it's not clear that
this would be effective.  If an outside developer did the work, there's
no guarantee that it would be incorporated into the codebase.  Other
avenues might be becoming a DHCP Forum member, or purchasing support
services from ISC.

I'd really like to know what it would take to get this feature
implemented.  Its enough of a concern that I'd consider funding the
development privately and hope that the patch is accepted into the main
development branch, but I think it would be better for the community if
it became a supported feature.

Jerimiah