Failover and number of IP reserved for failover by DHCP servers.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 20:59:36 UTC 2008

Luis Fernando Lacayo wrote:

>so for the admin network, it shows that there are 86 ip's used but
>we know for a fact that only 6 are in used.  So I am thinking that
>each of the servers is holding 20% of the available IPs.

Have you looked at the leases file to see what is there ?

Don't know if it's still the case, but Windows servers will
automatically grab a chunk of addresses for RAS clients that may or
may not ever connect to it. There's been a few postings on how to fix
this, something like (IIRC)  :

class "ras" {
   match if substring(client-id,1,4)="RAS " ;
   ignore booting ;