zone files updates

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Sep 24 15:10:49 UTC 2008

--On Wednesday, September 24, 2008 09:30:58 AM -0500 David Forrest
<drf at maplepark.com> wrote:

> 1. If I have to make changes to a zone file ($ZONE) dynamically updated
> by dhcpd, is there a procedure to insure no corruption?
>
> 2. I note that the $ZONE.jnl seems to grow continuously even if I stop
> bind and dhcpd. Does that mean that my original zone file is never
> changed and dhcpd just inserts the changed records on a temporary copy?
> If I look at the $ZONE it has the $TTL starts and ends in it but the
> serial number does not change (the file's modification time stamp does
> though).

You're asking on the wrong list; these are questions about BIND, not DHCP.
See the documentation for rndc; if your server is set up to support the
remote control interface, you can use 'rndc freeze' to "freeze" the zone
contents and update the zone file so you can edit it, and then 'rndc thaw'
to pick up the changes and resume service.  Alternately, you can make your
changes by issuing dynamic updates (see nsupdate), but this can be a bit
cumbersome.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>