dhcp hostname issue

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 17:25:37 UTC 2009

Alex Matthews wrote:

>My problem is that, if a machine is not given a host line (ie a dynamic
>lease) it will add the hostname to bind no problem, but the hosts WITH a
>host (static lease) line do not.
>Looking through my log files, non-static hosts show their hostnames in
>brackets in the DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK lines whereas the static ones don't.
>
>Am I missing something here?

Yes, host declarations with static addresses are treated differently
to dynamic leases. They do not go through the regular lease cycle,
and they do not appear in the leases file - and they do not trigger
DNS updates.

You can force DNS updates for them with the (IIRC)
"update-static-leases true;" statement - but the DNS will be updated
EVERY time the client renews which may increase load on your servers.

--
Simon Hobson