Editing dhcpd.conf without corrupting leases

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 14 12:03:29 UTC 2009

> when you get to this sort of large numbers of static hosts
> and modification numbers then the best way is to move all
> of it to a DB back end. generate a dhcpd.conf.new from
> the DB entries, then do a sanity check (hopefully the
> code producing the config file from the DB will stop
> weird and broken entries anyway!)

While I agree with this, I'm not sure it solves the OP's
problem which is a corrupt leases file, not a corrupt
config file.

I'm still wondering how the OP is (multiple times) seeing a
corrupt leases file on restart, because I just checked my logs
and we've done over a million dhcp restarts since we started
with 'NetReg' and have yet to see this.  Either there must be
some fundamental difference in our installations or they are
doing jillions of restarts and/or are the unluckiest bastards
on the planet.

John