dhcpd on Solaris 10

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Apr 26 02:33:51 UTC 2009

You can fill in the siaddr using:

  next-server a.b.c.d;

in an appropriate scope.

What version(s) of dhcpd is running on your linux box? What version are
you testing with on the Solaris box?

Are there any other options set or not set in the packets you sniff?

Is the Linux box on the same segment as the Solaris dhcp server?

siaddr is not required to be set to get an IP address. I have Windows
XP, 98, Linux and Solaris clients all working with a 0.0.0.0 siaddr.

regards,
-glenn

PS Note to everyone, please reply only to the list, I do not need to
see the message twice.

>Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:54:08 +0200
>Subject: Re: dhcpd on Solaris 10
>From: Jason Penton <jason.penton at gmail.com>
>To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>Cc: Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au>
>
>Hi Alan
>
>So why is it that when a client receives an OFFER with a zeroed
>siaddr, it never sends out the DHCP REQUEST (as if it was unhappy with
>the OFFER). I tested with Windows, linux and solaris clients??????? On
>a linux box, the EXACT same code with the EXACT same config (i.e. no
>next-server setting) the siaddr is set to the ip address of the DHCP
>server????
>
>Cheers
>Jason
>
>On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM,  <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'd imagine that on other OS's (linux) the siaddr is set
>>> automatically. Seems that on Solaris 10 update 6, it does not.
>>
>> to quote the post 3.0.2 changelog
>>
>> The siaddr field was being improperly set to the server-identifier when
responding to DHCP messages. RFC2131 clarified the siaddr field as meaning the
'next server in the bootstrap process', eg a tftp server. The siaddr field is
now left zeroed unless next-server is configured.