dhcpd on Solaris 10

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Apr 27 17:39:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:21:18PM +1000, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> - A bug in DLPI packet transmission (Solaris, HP/UX) that caused the server
>   to stop receiving packets is fixed.  The same fix also means that the MAC
>   address will no longer appear 'bogus' on DLPI-based systems.

That's correct.

Note this affects 4.* only, and IPv4 assignment.

> siaddr is zero in all cases. Using the exact same dhcpd.conf in all cases.

I think the suspicion that the siaddr being a key in clients booting
process must be an error - the siaddr field is never used for any
DHCPv4 protocol related work.

Unless the clients are network booting.

Filling the field by default is actually problematic if you have any
network booting (or some network boot capable) clients on hand.

It also goes against the non-normative declarations of intent for
the siaddr field in RFC 2131, which suggests the server may only fill
it with its own address if it is "prepared to supply the next
bootstrap service (e.g., delivery of an operating system executable
image)."

The only way we can know that is if the dhcpd.conf author says so.

This is why I removed that default in maintenance (3.0.3b1).  If I
had it again, I would not have made that change until feature release,
as there were folks whose configurations (and documented example
configs) relied upon that default behavior.