Quick DHCPNAK question

Shawn Holland sholland at sandara.ca
Thu Aug 20 19:26:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 09:58 -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:34:34PM -0300, Shawn Holland wrote:
> > Any suggestions?
>
> your configuration should generate a nak.
>
> you say it is silent; but what does the syslogged dhcprequest line
> say?
>
> there is usually a hint on the right side of the line.

Thanks for replying. I was just doing tcpdump and not looking at the log
files.

I have an automated process that updates the included
dhcpd.registrations and restarts the dhcpd service.

I adjusted the dhcpd lease times and was able to see that it will
DHCPNAK.

So my problem is with the short lease times and having to restart dhcpd
when the dhcpd.registrations file is updated. This is causing for short
periods of dhcpd downtime and no replies to dhcprequests. Which is what
I use to automatically swap someone over to a new pool. This lack of
response causes some clients to hold onto old leases.

I'm starting a new message asking for a better way of loading changes to
the static hosts file.

--
Regards,
Shawn Holland