Problems with DHCP using VLANs

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 18:09:04 UTC 2009

Tim Gavin wrote:
>I work for an ISP.  When I came in, there were three windows DHCP
>servers running.  I have since set up a Linux DHCP server running
>Debian Etch to replace them.
>
>Currently, I have multiple VLANs running on that server, and the
>server is running DHCP quite happily on one of the vlans.  The problem
>is that even though I can add new vlans all day long, I can't get
>dhcpd to hand out addresses on them.  Other communication on those
>vlans works just fine though, I can ping, ssh, and download debian
>updates just fine.

Probably not much help, but might boost morale slightly - I can
assure you that it does work. I have a system in place (a
multi-tenant business centre) that I setup several years ago, and
it's been working "just fine". They aren't customers any more, but
the only times I've had a call from then were due to a change of ISP,
and another IT outfit screwing up the firewall config.

First thought, and I imagine you've already checked this, you haven't
specified an interface to listen on have you ? It's in
/etc/default/dhcp3-server I think in Debian.

>@dhcp:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
># This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
># and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
># The loopback network interface
>auto lo
>iface lo inet loopback
>
># The primary network interface
>#allow-hotplug eth0
>#iface eth0 inet static
>
>#eth1 - Management
>auto eth1
>iface eth1 inet static
>         address 192.168.255.12
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>

>#############
>#Vlan Config#
>#############
>
>#VLAN 283
>auto vlan283
>#iface vlan283 inet static
>#       address xxx.xxx.xxx.194
>#       netmask 255.255.255.224
>#       mtu 1500
>#       vlan_raw_device eth0
>

>#VLAN 285
>auto vlan285
>iface vlan285 inet static
>         address xxx.xxx.xxx.158
>         netmask 255.255.255.192
>         gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.129
>         mtu 1500
>         vlan_raw_device eth0

The second thing I notice is that eth0 isn't configured to start.
--
Simon Hobson