Getting different ip's each time on DHCP

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Dec 2 19:06:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 01:35:50AM -0800, Bunny Singh wrote:
> We have 2 DHCP servers running on failover mode under 3.0.5 version.
>
> " uid lease for client is duplicate on x.x.x.x/x"

The reason we log this line is because we go and release the client's
other active leases on the same wire.  Obviously, we only do that if
the other lease is active.

Older versions of ISC DHCP had a bug where it would log the line
whether the lease is active or not, and it would still only release
the lease if it was active.  I think 3.0.5 is old enough, but can't be
sure.

It is probable that what you're seeing is cosmetic, normal operation,
and even when we do release these leases it is still just
informational but mostly normal operation.