dhcp 3.0.1 as shipped with CentOS 4.7 seems to not send 'root-path'

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Feb 5 16:26:26 UTC 2009

I am in the process of setting up a network of diskless clients with NFS
mounted root file systems.  I have determined that somehow the root-path
option value is not being sent by my dhcp daemon.  I am running CentOS
4.7, which has dhcp 3.0.1 installed.  Is this a known problem?  Or is it
something specific to the CentOS / RHEL package build?

My dhcpd.conf has this as an host section:

        host smeagol {
                hardware ethernet 00:40:ca:80:db:a9;
                fixed-address 192.168.250.125;
                option root-path "sauron.deepsoft.com:/nfsroot";
                option host-name "smeagol.deepsoft.com";
                filename "/pxelinux.0";
                next-server sauron.deepsoft.com;

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933