Got POOLREQ, answering negatively! Peer may be out of leases or database inconsistent.

Defryn, Guy G.P.Defryn at massey.ac.nz
Mon Feb 9 02:33:21 UTC 2009

Hi there,

We are having a bit of an issue since we did a server upgrade this morning and not sure what to make of it.

Early this morning I shut down the primary server and issues the following on the secondary:

omshell
connect
new failover-state
set name = "foo"
open
set local-state = 1
update

I did perform a new OS + DHCP install in a virtual machine.
Once the new server was up we saw some recover wait statements, which I believe is to be expected.

The servers I was dealing with are off-site and 500 miles away.
At one stage, one of our engineers turned on the old server again!
A few problems started to appear obviously as its network settings are the same.
We switched it off as soon as we noticed. The log is showing a lot of recovery wait entries and every 60 seconds I see the following:

peer alb-dhcp-failover: Got POOLREQ, answering negatively!  Peer may be out of leases or database inconsistent.

Any ideas?

failover peer "alb-dhcp-failover" {
   primary;
   address                        alb-net1;
   port                           519;
   peer address                   alb-net2;
   peer port                      519;
   split                          255;
   max-response-delay             60;
   max-unacked-updates            10;
   mclt                           1800;
   load balance max seconds       5;
}

failover peer "alb-dhcp-failover" {
   secondary;
   address                        alb-net2;
   port                           519;
   peer address                   alb-net1;
   peer port                      519;
   max-response-delay             60;
   max-unacked-updates            10;
   load balance max seconds       5;