host-identifier with IPv6

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Fri Feb 27 15:11:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 15:13 -0800, David W. Hankins wrote:
> DDNS in RA is full stop no-go, unless you manually configure the client
> itself to perform DDNS after DAD, at which time you may as well do
> neither RA nor DHCPv6.

Well, I have to disagree, 'specially since I have labs full of machines
doing it.

What I'm doing, and what I'm advocating to become the standard way of
doing things, is to have the default 'dhclient-script' include a stanza
to initiate a DDNS update.

My philosophy with IPv6 implementation is that the added address space
and the raw hexidecimal values in said addresses have increased the
complexity to a level that is way beyond even what the more saavy users
and or system administrators can comprehend.  I'm all for IPv6, but I
think the way forward involves making the job of the Network Engineer
harder and the job of the System Administrator even easier, ie. to make
the networks plug-n-play.  I've setup environments where hosts simply
need to be configured with a hostname to include the FQDN and plugged
into the correct VLAN, and the rest is "auto-magical."

-G

--
/*
 * Glen R. J. Neff