Searching for documentation on dhcpT1value

Halim Issa yallaone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 09:18:37 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm running dhcpd 3.0.5 and have for a while now searched in vain for
documentation on how dhcpT1value and dhcpT2value are to be set.

The DHCP client makes the following complaint when being assigned an address:

dhcpT1value is missing in DHCP server response. Assuming 3600 sec
dhcpT2value is missing in DHCP server response. Assuming 6300 sec

There is no mention of dhcpT.value in the man page, documentation directory or
online, and a google search only shows up similar problems but no solutions,
so I was hoping to find some enlightenment here.

I tried adding dhcpT1value=3600 to my dhcpd.conf, but it only accepts values
between 0 and 255, so my question is simple:

1. What does dhcpT1value control that is different from default-lease-time and
max-lease-time keywords?

2. What unit is the value - seconds, minutes, ticks or what?

3. What's the recommended use?

Thanks in advance for any insight or pointers to documentation that I have
missed.

 -h