passing values to client

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Jan 11 17:18:01 UTC 2009

glad I asked - "site local" was just the right phase to google.

I seem to have it all setup, but I am not seeing the values come over.

Now wondering what the best way to debug this is.  I have used wireshark, but
hoping there is something easier.

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>> Currently the clonezilla CD will bring up sshd and set a password if
>> you enter 2 boot parameters.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out how to add some code that will get those 2
>> parameters from the dhcp client.   So what is the normal way for an
>> app to get parameters that were received by dhcpcd or dhclient?
>
> I don't know the details as I've never done anything special in the
> client, but there are three steps involved.
>
> First, you will need to configure the server to supply the parameters -
> in this case, you'll probably have to define "site local" options.

# /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf
authoritative;

# log using syslogd
log-facility local7;

option cz-ocs_daemonon code 224 = string;
option cz-usercrypted code 225 = string;

subnet 192.168.1.0  netmask 255.255.255.0 {
         range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.254 ;
         filename "pxelinux.0" ;
         option cz-ocs_daemonon "ssh";
         option cz-usercrypted "iTBGwkbHzKDfk";
}

> Then you'll need to configure the client to ask for them. This is in the
> client config file where (IIRC) you can specify a custom option list to
> be requested.

# /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

option cz-ocs_daemonon code 224 = string;
option cz-usercrypted code 225 = string;

request cz-ocs_daemonon, cz-usercrypted, (existing options: subnet-mask,
broadcast-address...)

> Lastly, I assume the client will store what it receives somewhere before
> calling the client script. If you look at the client, there is a script
> which does all the processing - so you will probably want to modify that
> to stash the values where they are easily accessible to your application.
>
> In Debian the files are in /etc/dhcp3, and I see that there are two
> directories dhclient-[enter|exit]-hooks.d which contain scripts that are
> run by the client on a state change.

Sun Jan 11 07:54:54 PST 2009: entering dhclient-exit-hooks.d, dumping variables.
reason='REBOOT'
cz-ocs_daemonon=''
cz-usercrypted=''
interface='eth0'