Need some help with multiple DHCP relays/networks

Jessica Meyer jessmeyer82 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:00:24 UTC 2009

Dear list readers,

I have a question about configuring DHCPD to answer requests according
the value of the "DHCP relay" option. I have tried to find the
information on the internet as well in the manpage, but could not find
what I was looking for.

I have to set up a quite complex environment (at least for me). I have
already compiled the latest version of DHCPD on a debian machine and
configured it so that I have three address pools.

Now what I need is the following:

  - DHCPD gets a request from a client.
  - DHCPD looks at the relay agent option.
  - If the relay agent IP is 10.0.0.1, give out an IP address from
    10.1.0.0/16 or 10.2.0.0/16, but not from any other address pool.
  - If the relay agent IP is 192.168.0.1, give out an IP address from
    192.168.0.0/24.

I hope my explanation is easy to understand... I already configured a
shared-network for the 10.x.0.0/16 networks, but I am not sure if this
is the right way.

Here is my configuration so far (relevant parts):

  server-identifier 192.168.0.2;
  authorative;

  subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
  {
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    range 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.254;
    default-lease-time 36000;