Mapping a MAC to an IP...

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jan 21 17:01:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:16:34AM -0600, Peter Laws wrote:
> Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Host declarations are global in scope, and so are valid even if a
>> client is connected to a different subnet (in which case it will get a
>> dynamic address from that subnet rather than the fixed address). But
>> what would happen is that the client would get a suitable IP address,
>> but inherit options (such as routers) from the subnet where the host
>> statement is declared - I think you can imagine the confusion that
>> causes !
>
> That makes no sense ...  if a particular host connects to a different
> subnet, I'd want it to get the information *appropriate for that subnet*,
> not the one where it may have a static IP/reservation/whatever you want
> to call it.   What am I missing?

Put subnet-specific options in the subnet {}, and host-specific
options in the host {}.  Do not put host {} inside subnet {}.
fixed-address is the exception here, because it is both
"subnet-specific" and "host-specific".  The DHCP server is smart
enough to use one of the fixed-addresses declared in the host if one
of them is valid for the subnet from which the request came, otherwise
it will assign out of a subnet pool.