omshell format error in hardware-address output

Matthias Stenke Matthias.Stenke at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Wed Jan 28 08:53:40 UTC 2009

We operate dhcpd as a component of a web authentication system for about
2000 users and use omshell for performance reasons to get the MAC/IP
pair for a specific client (we have short lease times and parsing the
dhcpd.leases simply takes too much time in our case).

I have just encountered a strange behavior of omshell (Version 3.0.7)
with one of the clients which uses a locally set mac address
(66:55:44:33:60:40). The lease data which is print out is wrong
formatted: The hardware-address should be printed out in the usual
format as 66:55:44:33:60:40, but omshell prints out "fUD3`@" (including
the quotes). Obviously the six bytes of the hardware address are
converted to ASCII characters and quoted. I have seen this so far only
with this specific mac address.

I hope someone can take a look at this. Many thanks in advance!

Here is the input/output of omshell:

Input:

connect

new "lease"

set ip-address = <client ip>

open

omshell output:

ip-address = <deleted>

state = 00:00:00:02

dhcp-client-identifier = 01:66:55:44:33:60:40

client-hostname = "DUMMY"

subnet = 00:00:00:07

pool = 00:00:00:08

hardware-address = "fUD3`@"