ISC DHCP server offers fixed IP addresses to ANY device!

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Jan 29 17:57:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:21:53AM +0100, Frode Nordahl wrote:
> We are about to start using the reserved lease functionality, and bumped
> into this issue. I did not find any public CVS or patches for this online,
> so I wrote my own while waiting. :-)

Can you bounce it to dhcp-bugs at isc.org?  I'll see if I can review it
into next maint.

I swear I thought we'd already done a fix for this, may have slipped
through the cracks.

> Is the next maint release far away?

Relatively, we only have a few things queued up right now, and we just
did the finals for the last round.  I'm guessing order of magnitude of
months to the next beta, but it depends.

> We are setting the reserved flag through OMAPI by sending flags with a char
> (1 byte) value set to 0x04. The support for this seems to be a bit
> undocumented at the moment, will we get burned in the future for doing
> this? :-)

Now that you are an OMAPI user, you will burn for all eternity.

Well, maybe it's not quite that bad.  I've never liked how OMAPI was
built, the way it requires the client end to know details of the
server's memory structures.

There is a small bit of heat in your future as, after we have a
replacement with more symbolic abstracts (my thinking is still XML),
we'll be migrating away from it.  I like to think you'll /want/ to
migrate, but we'll see how popular it is.

I know a lot of people use OMAPI because it's the only game in DHCP's
town, so we try not to shake it up too badly even between feature
releases.