DHCPDISCOVER packets being received by host, but not responded to by dhcpd

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Jul 1 16:31:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:20:14AM -0700, Kyle Dion wrote:
> FYI, we saw with strace that the process *was* receiving the packets,
> despite no log entries or replies.  In the end, all it took to resolve the
> problem was restarting the service.  Why dhcpd was dropping the packets, we
> may never know.

The dhcpd daemon has to use two network interfaces; a raw
(bpf/lpf/dlpi) and a bsd socket.

The BSD socket is only ever used to transmit unicast replies; any
packets received on it are dropped.

If your system call trace is only showing one reception per packet,
then there's something going on with the raw socket.

What, I can't say, we haven't had any bug reports or recent bug
fixes for raw sockets on the linuxes.