yet another question about partner down

Brian Johnson voyager.106 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:25:18 UTC 2009

Hello all,

We've recently deployed a new pair of failover dhcp servers, and I'm trying
to test their ability to go into partner-down state. This is what I've done:

1) gone to my secondary dhcp server, stopped dhcp
2) on my primary server, run a 'tail -f /var/log/messages | grep move', saw
it go into communications-interrupted state
3) run the below script:
   #!/bin/sh
   omshell << EOF
   server localhost
   key itsomkey *<super-duper-secret key here>*
   connect
   new failover-state
   set name = "name"
   open
   set local-state = 1
   update
   EOF
4) watch my tail -f to see what happens.

And, what seems to happen is, my primary server (the one that still had dhcp
running....) goes from communications-interrupted to....startup. Eventually
it goes back to c-i. But it never goes into partner-down.

Can someone let me know what I'm missing? Thanks.

Brian

--
Brian Johnson
"And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own