yet another question about partner down

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Jul 2 13:30:13 UTC 2009

>From: Brian Johnson <voyager.106 at gmail.com>
>Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:05:43 -0400
>Subject: Re: yet another question about partner down
>
> Just to follow up, changing the 1 to 4 did the trick. I now have a script in
> place to put my server into partner-down if need be.
>
> Thanks again, Glenn!
>
> Brian
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Brian Johnson <voyager.106 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Glenn,
> >
> > Thanks so much for pointing me to includes/failover.h. This is the first
> > I've seen of it in my searching of the tubes.
> >
> > I'd actually pulled '1' from 'man dhcpd', which has this list:
> >
> > local-state integer examine, modify
> >             Indicates the present state of the DHCP server in this failover
> > relationship.   Possible values for state are:
> >
> >                  1  - partner down
> >                  2  - normal
> >                  3  - communications interrupted
> >                  4  - resolution interrupted
> >                  5  - potential conflict
> >                  6  - recover
> >                  7  - recover done
> >                  8  - shutdown
> >                  9  - paused
> >                  10 - startup
> >                  11 - recover wait
> >
> > The Release notes for "changes since 3.1.1" (we're running 3.1.1)  says "
> > Corrected list of failover state values in dhcpd man page." which is what
> > burned me. I'll :%s/1/4 and give it another go. Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Brian

Interesting. I checked the 4.1.1b1 dhcpd man page and it contains this
list:

     local-state integer examine, modify
          Indicates the present state of the DHCP server in  this
          failover relationship.   Possible values for state are:

               1   - startup
               2   - normal
               3   - communications interrupted
               4   - partner down
               5   - potential conflict
               6   - recover
               7   - paused
               8   - shutdown
               9   - recover done
               10  - resolution interrupted
               11  - conflict done
               254 - recover wait

          (Note that some of the above values have changed  since
          DHCP 3.0.x.)

So perhaps the man page in 3.1.1 is the old one from 3.0.x and didn't
get updated? Anyway, great news to hear that it is working!

regards,
-glenn