Determining which server, in a partner pair, granted a lease

Daniel Duarte dan.r.duarte at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:36:56 UTC 2009

Hello,

>From what I've seen on my network, we can know it by inspecting the lease files.

For example:
Node 	Starts		Ends				TSTP					TSFP
node1	2009/07/09	19:10:02 2009/07/09	20:10:02 2009/07/09
20:40:02	2009/07/09 20:40:02
node2	2009/07/09	19:10:02 2009/07/09	20:10:02 2009/06/02
04:03:36	2009/07/09 20:40:02

What I've seen is that on the peer that answered the request:
TSTP > "Start time"

and on the "standby" dhcp server:
TSTP < "Start Time"

I don't know if this can be seen as an actual rule. It seems to apply
whenever the network is stable, and every request is answered, but I
don't know how it behaves on more abnormal situations. It makes some
sense, because the "active" server knows when the lease will expire,
and it must be in the future, while for the "standby" server that time
should be in the past, when he last delivered the lease.

I would be very interested if this can be taken a rule. Is it always like this?

Thanks,
Daniel Duarte