Solving POOLREQ... how?

Jeffrey Collyer jwc3f at virginia.edu
Mon Jul 13 18:22:16 UTC 2009

So I have a pair of ubuntu linux 8.04 servers running DHCP 4.1.0 with a
large config (a little over 500 shared network declarations).  And
everything was running great with no problems for about a month since I
first built them.

Then I added a set of about 20 networks to the config on each machine
and upon restart I start seeing this on the primary :

Jul 13 14:07:39 primary dhcpd: peer fopeer: Got POOLREQ, answering
negatively!  Peer may be out of leases or database inconsistent.

and this on the secondary.

Jul 13 14:07:39 secondary dhcpd: pool response: 0 leases

As far as I can tell none of my pools are even close to being out of
addresses, the config files for the added networks are identical on both
machines.  So far I haven't been able to find a config difference
between the machines that would account for this.

So I assumed it to be something in the leases file, and hoped that the
machines would re-balance themselves.  I've let them run for over a
week, and except for an occasional period of time where I would see the
secondary log

pool response: 1 leases

Can anyone tell me how to interpret and/or troubleshoot this problem.
This feels oddly like a new version of the "peer holds all free leases"
problem in older version, which I was hoping to avoid by using the 4.x
train of software.

Thanks
Jeff