Where does DHCPD store its backup of the dhcpd.leases file?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 08:16:05 UTC 2009

Jessica Meyer wrote:

>I must ensure that DHCP Leasequeries (as defined in RFC 4388) work.
>This works for dynamic leases only. I think leasequery does only
>"query" the dhcpd.leases file, and static or fixed-addresses do not
>appear in the lease file.
>
>The thing is I have both dynamic (DHCP) and static IPs, and I can't
>control who uses DHCP and who does configure their device statically.
>BUT - the leasequery should alsways respond with DHCPLEASEACTIVE.
>
>I'm not sure if I'm clear, but the important thing is that I need to
>ensure that leasequeries also work for fixed-addresses. I've heard and
>read something about reserved addresses as well, but there's the same
>problem - Leasequery does ignore them. So that's why I'm trying to
>create "fake" lease entries - it's just that leasequery works the way
>I need it.

The server will automatically delete any leases that aren't within a
defined range. Eg, if you have a "range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199"
statement, and create a lease for 192.168.1.27, then that fake lease
will automatically be deleted on startup - and you'll see it logged I
think.

I'd have thought reserved leases should deal with your problem - they
shouldn't be ignored as they are treated exactly the same as any
other lease except tat they will never be reallocated to another
client.

It won't help with users that manually configure their machine as
those devices will never have an active lease, and I'd have thought
that it should be correct behaviour to NOT respond that the lease is
active. Relying on the DHCP server to say a lease is active when a
user manually configures their device seems like a recipe for trouble
- what are you trying to do that needs it ?

--
Simon Hobson