How to make 150k active clients happy?

Heinecke at hansenet.com Heinecke at hansenet.com
Thu Jul 23 16:23:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have to design a dhcp infrastructure which is good for:
~ 150k active leases
~ 2000 subnets, each a /22 network (1018 available IP's each)
- 4 days lease time
- failover is a must-have
- HP hardware running 64Bit debian lenny, 1 or 2 quad-core cpu, min. 4GB RAM) (Fast hardware ist not the problem ...)

And one 'special' requirement:
I have to forward agent-circuit.id, leased IP and client hardware address (mac) to a thrid party system on all events (commit|release|expiry) by issuing a http request.
Regarding this, I think of doing something like "execute('/usr/bin/wget http://1.2.3.4?ip=",param1<http://1.2.3.4?ip=>, param2, ....)"

So... what do you think? Is there a (good) chance to be successful with ISC 4.x? My feeling is that the  'execute()' call may turn out as showstopper. Any other ideas?

Thank's very much!
:-) Michael