Monitor DHCP Discover

Tim Peiffer peiffer at UMN.EDU
Tue Jun 2 11:18:41 UTC 2009

red1 red wrote:
> Dear ISC Members;
>
> I'm using ISC DHCP v4.0.0/ OS: Redhat , I'd like to configure DHCP
> Server to send notification (snmp trap or whatever) if it hasn't
> received any DHCP DISCOVER since specific time (eg 30 seconde ago ) or
> if DHCP DISCOVER rate go less than a specefic threshold (eg  Less than
> 20 Discovers/minute)
>

> Is it doable ?? Please advise.

Please look at the simple event correlator SEC by Risto Virandi.  It is
on the sourceforge.  It is flexible and can be configured to parse and
act on nearly any log format.  The user forum is pretty active and has a
pretty high signal to noise ratio.  I use the tool extensively.
Also look at John Rouillard and John Brown's white papers.  They are
informative reading.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=simple+event+correlator&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

SEC - open source and platform independent event correlation tool ->
http://www.estpak.ee/~risto/sec/
SourceForge.net: Simple Event Correlator ->
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simple-evcorr/

Regards,
Tim Peiffer
Network Support Engineer
Office of Information Technology / OIA
University of Minnesota / NorthernLights GigaPOP