successful lease event trigger

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Jun 11 08:32:15 UTC 2009

Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
> List,
>
> Whats the best way to keep/record ALL lease activity?

	It's not clear to me what your requirements are:
	"best" for what purpose, "activity" in what sense?

	The leases file shows the current state of all known dynamic
	leases, but not that of leases which are unknown.  IIUC, a lease
	becomes unknown which has at some time been, but no longer
	remains, in the  server's configuration, as it is not written to
	the leases file when this is updated.  If you need to record
	leases from before the last significant configuration change,
	you need to take account of this.

	The logs show the recent history of lease activity, according
	to how long you keep them.  This history will show transaction-
	-level detail of activity relating to fixed addresses and to
	unknown (no longer known) leases.  It will also show activity
	relating to earlier history of currently known leases.

	I think you'll find discussions both on processing logs and on
	parsing the leases file in the archives of this list.

	If you can express your purpose more clearly, you may find
	either that a well-known solution is available or that there
	are people on this list who are interested in working with you
	to solve an outstanding problem.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services