successful lease event trigger

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 11:09:38 UTC 2009

I hate tooting my own horn but I am the developer of the phpDHCPAdmin
software that utilizes a MySQL backend to dynamically generate lease file
data for clients and it automatically stores them. It is on
sourceforge.netif you wish to test drive the application.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Terry L. Inzauro <tinzauro at ha-solutions.net
> wrote:

> Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> > Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
> >> List,
> >>
> >> Whats the best way to keep/record ALL lease activity?
> >
> >     It's not clear to me what your requirements are:
> >     "best" for what purpose, "activity" in what sense?
> >
> >     The leases file shows the current state of all known dynamic
> >     leases, but not that of leases which are unknown.  IIUC, a lease
> >     becomes unknown which has at some time been, but no longer
> >     remains, in the  server's configuration, as it is not written to
> >     the leases file when this is updated.  If you need to record
> >     leases from before the last significant configuration change,
> >     you need to take account of this.
> >
> >     The logs show the recent history of lease activity, according
> >     to how long you keep them.  This history will show transaction-
> >     -level detail of activity relating to fixed addresses and to
> >     unknown (no longer known) leases.  It will also show activity
> >     relating to earlier history of currently known leases.
> >
> >     I think you'll find discussions both on processing logs and on
> >     parsing the leases file in the archives of this list.
> >
> >     If you can express your purpose more clearly, you may find
> >     either that a well-known solution is available or that there
> >     are people on this list who are interested in working with you
> >     to solve an outstanding problem.
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >
> >     Niall O'Reilly
> >     University College Dublin IT Services
>

> Well put.
>
> I would define best as "most efficient and easy to maintain". I like to
> keep configuration as simple and close to standards
> as possible.
>
> -----
>
> I am trying to derive a method of retaining the MAC/IP combinations (and
> maybe other information) for all successful leases
> for compliance and auditing  purposes.  Basically, in the public sector, I
> have to be able to tell law enforcement who (which
> mac addres) had obtained an address and at what time (to the best of my
> knowledge).
>
> At first I envisioned a script being ran upon a successful lease that would
> log various info to SQL or something like that.
> I thought this method would be possible based on the section called
> 'REFERENCE: EVENTS' (in man 5 dhcpd.conf) but I am
> finding a lack of documentation or examples on that particular subject.
>
> Perhaps I am making something out of nothing. Is this problem simply a
> matter tuning syslog-ng to log all DHCPD related
> messages to a log that is later archived indefinitely?

Jason Gerfen
jason.gerfen at gmail.com

~ tomorrow ain't promised so we live for today