Failover concept clarification

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Jun 18 16:30:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 04:11:43PM +0530, pat wrote:
> so now i got both the timers from omshell
>
> mclt=00:00:00:0a
> partner-state=00:00:00:02
> local-state=00:00:00:03

State 3 is 'communications-interrupted' in all versions.  What I
described only takes affect in partner-down (either 1 or 4 depending
on version), which I thought from your earlier description you had
said you had set the local state to.

In communications-interrupted, the server cannot be sure that the
peer is not assigning leases to clients, so it cannot allocate from
the peer's free-state pool at any time.

> partner-stos=4a:38:99:e4
> local-stos=4a:3a:05:2a
>
> so now what is the timer it will wait for to server all the lease.

In communications-interrupted, never.

In partner-down, local-stos+mclt, but this is easier to observe in the
dhcpd.leases file's lastmost 'failover {}' stanza.