failover and load balancing

loganathan Govindaraj loganosc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:02:49 UTC 2009

Hi

       We are testing failover and load balancing our setup is like this

Dhcp server primary-------------|

                                          | ------------------- Router/Relay
agent----------------- DHCP clients
Dhcp secondry -------------------|

The router/relay agent is configured to forward the broadcast to both the
servers.
When i send a client with a mac-address of 00:00:00:00:00:00:01 the router
forwards the packet to both primary and secondry.
On recipt of a discover the i get a offer from the primary server once and
in another instance the mac address is offered by the secondry .
I am not able to get how the hashing works. Can any one explain how the
hasing works

Another behaviour which i would like to mention here . Some times we get
offers from both the servers as the discover is reaching the servers .As per
the protocol after hashing primary or secondry should send an update to the
peer and then provide an offer .The behaviour is contradicting

Logan