host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Mon Mar 2 02:27:56 UTC 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> That says to me that if a server attempts to extract the HW address
> that was
> used to generate a given DUID, it's violating the RFC.

Only if it's using it for protocol purposes.   You can do anything you
want with it as long as it doesn't affect your processing of the
protocol.   The point of this text is to prevent you from doing
something naive with the identifier, like simply treating the Mac
address portion as an identifier and ignoring the rest of it.