host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Mon Mar 2 19:16:29 UTC 2009

> I'm not at all concerned about address shortages (I have a full /16 here);
> it's about the ability to specify arbitrary options, for an arbitrary client,
> while knowing only the clients HW address and performing no configuration on
> the client.

This is where I am coming from as well.

By having to accept a 'generated' DUID, it is no longer possible, with DHCPv6, to pre-assign attributes to a new device without having already completed an OS install to determine the DUID (which may not be the OS the user wanted).  This seems to be a major step backwards to me.

With IPv4, we can use the 'sticker' on the box to pre-load config data into our database.  The appliance/phone/computer can then be delivered to the user and they connect it up and turn it on and 'hey presto' everything just works (well most of the time :-)).