host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Mon Mar 2 20:25:44 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 1:17 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> Why is this difficult to understand?

Actually, no feature is being removed - I don't know where you got
that.   But in any case, this is a classic example of the situation
where no matter what you do, someone doesn't get what they want.   You
seem to have concluded, based on no evidence, that what most people
want most is a less-stable unique identifier that allows them to track
devices by the sticker on the side.

In my personal experience, this is an edge case.   Yes, there are
people who want to do this, but they are by no means the majority of
users.   And we have a solution that addresses their needs.   I don't
know how easy it is in the ISC server (I suspect it's pretty easy) but
it's definitely easy in the Nominum server.   So essentially, from a
protocol perspective, this is a non-problem.   If it is a problem from
your perspective, it's one that's easily solved in software.

Why is this so difficult to understand?   ;')