host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Tue Mar 3 06:22:42 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> I'm not aware of any MSO handing out IPs to their CMs or CPE based on
> circuit ID.  It's my understanding that everyone uses MAC addresses.

That's not precisely what I was saying.   Nobody uses (or should use)
the circuit ID to assign IP addresses.   What I mean is that they use
the circuit ID to figure out who you are (that is, whether or not your
account is current, etc).   Since this information is handed to the
DHCP server by the relay agent, it's dead easy to track.